You've done your research and done the hard part. You found your ideal Florida home and everything looks great so far, but you know that just to be sure you should get a home inspection.WHAT DOES A HOME INSPECTOR LOOK FOR DURING AN INSPECTION?
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions by Florida home owners:
R.L Miller Inspectors run down a checklist of potential problems. While we won't list all of them, here's the boiled-down version:
HOW CAN I HELP THE HOME INSPECTOR TO ENSURE THE INSPECTIONS PROCESS IS SUCCESSFUL?
- Grounds: R.L Miller Inspectors are looking for current or future water issues such as standing puddles and faulty grading or downspouts.
- Structure: Is the house foundation solid? Are the sides straight? Are the window and door frames square?
- Roof: Our inspector’s are looking for defects in shingles, ceiling drips; loose gutters; and defects in chimneys and skylights
- Exterior: The R.L Miller inspector will look for siding cracks, rot, or decay; cracking or flaking masonry.
- Window, doors, trim: Our inspectors will see if frames are secure and without rot, caulking is solid and secure, and glass is undamaged.
- Kitchen: R.L Miller Inspections makes sure range hood fans vent to the outside; no leaks occur under the sink; and cabinet doors and drawers operate properly.
- Bathrooms: Inspectors want to see toilets flushing, drains draining, showers spraying, and tubs securely fastened.
- Plumbing: Our inspectors are evaluating pipes, drains, water heaters, and water pressure and temperature.
- Electrical: Inspectors will check if the visible wiring and electrical panels are in good shape, and if light switches are working correctly.
HOW MUCH DOES A HOME INSPECTION COST?
- Bring any and all concerns about the property to your inspector before he begins, and if the seller has disclosed damage, give your inspector a heads up about that, too.
- Another smart move is to accompany your inspector during his rounds. It’s in your best interest to understand the home, its systems, and potential problems.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE A HOME INSPECTION?
- The average home inspection costs anywhere from $400-$600 depending on the size of the home.
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR MY HOUSE TO FAIL AN INSPECTION?
- Most home inspections can last anywhere from two to three hours.
HOW FAR IN ADVANCE DO I NEED TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT?
- Failing is not really a criteria for a real estate inspection. The only type of inspection that could fail would be a construction permit inspection, but a general home inspection's purpose is to highlight any defects or faults with the home, not to give the home a pass or fail.
DO YOU MAINTAIN A MEMBERSHIP IN A PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTOR ASSOCIATION?
- R.L Miller Inspections is very flexible, accommodating, and can work around almost any schedule.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SCHEDULE A HOME INSPECTION?
- R.L Miller home inspectors are certified with ASHI (Amercian Society of Home Inspectors) as well as InterNACHI (International Association of Certified Home Inspectors)
- By filling out the contact form or giving R.L Miller Inspections a call! You can find our contact information by clicking below